Training for Newly Appointed Healthcare Chaplains.
The Department of Health sponsored the development of an on-line course titled: Introductory Training for Newly Appointed Healthcare Chaplains. This course was developed by the Board and is administered by an Academic Adviser experienced in on-line chaplaincy education. Admission to the course is at the discretion of Lead Chaplains who issue an enrolment key. The course is appropriate for all newly appointed healthcare chaplains and some Lead chaplains also include chaplaincy support workers such as chaplaincy volunteers.
The course is available at http://learn.ukbhc.org.uk
Lead Chaplains can view a Read Only version of the site and can request the enrolment key from the course administrator: email@example.com
Registration: Registration with the Board requires that applicants have a qualification relevant to their faith community or belief group and a postgraduate qualification in Healthcare Chaplaincy such as a PG Certificate in Healthcare Chaplaincy.
Working as a Chaplain: The Board’s Healthcare Chaplaincy Bands and Duties Framework (2015) outlines the educational requirements for the various Agenda for Change (AfC) Bands in Healthcare Chaplaincy. While a graduate degree such as a Foundation Degree in Healthcare Chaplaincy would enable chaplains to be employed at AfC Band 5 there is an expectation that for autonomous practice as an AfC Band 6 healthcare chaplain a Postgraduate qualification in Healthcare Chaplaincy is the requirement.
At present there are five accredited Postgraduate Healthcare Chaplaincy programmes in the UK available in Cardiff, Cambridge, London and Glasgow. They include distance learning, block learning and face to face study. Details of the programmes are outlined below.
Postgraduate Chaplaincy Education (Accredited Programmes for Band 6 Chaplaincy appointments)
- PG Certificate / Diploma / MSc in Healthcare Chaplaincy – University of Glasgow
- PG Diploma / MA in Healthcare Chaplaincy – Cambridge Theological Federation
- PG Certificate / Diploma / MA Chaplaincy Studies – Durham University (provided by St Padarn’s Institute, Cardiff) https://www.stpadarns.ac.uk/en/courses/ma-chaplaincy/
- PG Certificate Healthcare Chaplaincy – London South Bank University, provided by Guy’s and St. Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust. For further information contact the Course Director at PGCertSpCare@gstt.nhs.uk
- PG Diploma / MA Existential and Humanist Pastoral Support – Middlesex University, London, provided by the New School of Psychotherapy and Counselling.
- PG Certificate in Paediatric Chaplaincy based at Birmingham Children’s Hospital in partnership with Institute of Children Youth and Mission, initially validated by Staffordshire University and now by Newman University 4×15 credit modules see https://cym.ac.uk/ma-studies-in-chaplaincy/ . Also PG Dip and MA in Chaplaincy with Children and young People.
- UKBHC Registration with PG Certificate / Diploma / MA Chaplaincy Studies – Durham University (provided by Luther King Centre, Manchester) https://www.lutherking.ac.uk/courses/chaplaincy-studies-with-ukbhc-accreditation
Graduate Chaplaincy Education (non-accredited programmes for Band 5 Chaplaincy appointments)
- Practitioners in Healthcare Ethics, Theology and Care – St Mary’s University College, Twickenham, London (Formerly the Foundation Degree in Healthcare Chaplaincy)
- MA in Muslim Chaplaincy – Markfield Institute of Higher Education, Leicestershire